500fans.com - The Independent FIAT 500 & ABARTH Forum
500fans.com - The Independent FIAT 500 & ABARTH Forum
Forum
Photo Album
All Album
Videos
Forum Leaders
Sponsors
Home Page Forum Subscriptions Advertising on 500fans.com 500fans.com on Facebook
Go Back   500fans.com the first US & Worldwide FIAT 500 & Abarth 500 Independent Forums > 500 Forums > FIAT 500 forum
Register Invite Your FriendsAll Albums FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Nationality of 500fans members. Order is according to registration date:

USA Canada United Kingdom Greece Norway Australia Finland Cyprus Luxembourg Italy Germany Hungary Romania Poland DenmarkIreland Spain

Thailand Russia Japan Slovakia Singapore Sweden Hong Kong Portugal Indonesia Belgium Israel Brazil Morocco Netherlands Venezuela South Africa United Arab Emirates

FIAT 500 forum All About The New FIAT 500 1.2, 1.4-16v and 1.3 Multijet.

» Gold Site Sponsor
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 6th June 2011, 08:04   #1
Hollie
Hollie's Flag is: England

Hollie is on a distinguished road
Default Pop VS Sport

Hey there,

I'm looking at getting a Fiat 500, I haven't bought one yet, but it's between the Pop and the Sport. Now, as far as I know, there isn't any difference between the performance of both of the 500's, from what I have read in specifications. The main differences I have noticed are 15" alloy wheels, tinted windows, blue & me and other niggly gadgets..
Is it worth paying the extra 750-1000 for a Sport rather than a Pop?
Will the sport make a huge difference in insurance as well? As I'm only young!

Sorry if I sound like I don't know what I'm doing
Old 6th June 2011, 08:58   #2
wreckmaster
500fans.com Super Moderator
wreckmaster's Flag is: Norway  

wreckmaster has much to be proud ofwreckmaster has much to be proud ofwreckmaster has much to be proud ofwreckmaster has much to be proud ofwreckmaster has much to be proud ofwreckmaster has much to be proud ofwreckmaster has much to be proud ofwreckmaster has much to be proud ofwreckmaster has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pop VS Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie View Post
Hey there,

I'm looking at getting a Fiat 500, I haven't bought one yet, but it's between the Pop and the Sport. Now, as far as I know, there isn't any difference between the performance of both of the 500's, from what I have read in specifications. The main differences I have noticed are 15" alloy wheels, tinted windows, blue & me and other niggly gadgets..
Is it worth paying the extra 750-1000 for a Sport rather than a Pop?
Will the sport make a huge difference in insurance as well? As I'm only young!

Sorry if I sound like I don't know what I'm doing
The sport also has a spoiler, better seats and rear brake discs which the 1,2 pop dosen`t But IMO the pop seats looks better And you can always order a pop with the spoiler and alloys
-(X)1987 Fiat Panda 1000cl
-(X)1963 Neckar Europa ( Fiat Milicento).
-(X)2005 Opel Astra wagon 1,4.
-(X)2010 Fiat Bravo 1,6mjet Maranello red
wreckmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 10:10   #3
Hollie
Hollie's Flag is: England

Hollie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckmaster View Post
The sport also has a spoiler, better seats and rear brake discs which the 1,2 pop dosen`t But IMO the pop seats looks better And you can always order a pop with the spoiler and alloys
Ah thank you! I'm not really bothered about the spoiler to be honest, and I've seen a pair of Wolfrace alloys that look absolutely beautiful that would fit a 500 anyways, so I'm not particularly fussed about those..

Think I will probably go for the Pop, I am yet to test drive one, just haven't gotten around to booking a test drive!
Old 6th June 2011, 10:46   #4
seadawg
seadawg's Flag is: United States

seadawg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie View Post
Think I will probably go for the Pop, I am yet to test drive one, just haven't gotten around to booking a test drive!
I'd advise test driving BOTH models then you can make a more informed decision. Here in the US the suspension is different between the Pop and the Sport. Not sure if that's true in Europe or not.
seadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 11:06   #5
Cyberdog
Founder Member of 500fans.com
Cyberdog's Flag is: Norway  

Cyberdog is a name known to allCyberdog is a name known to allCyberdog is a name known to allCyberdog is a name known to allCyberdog is a name known to allCyberdog is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadawg View Post
I'd advise test driving BOTH models then you can make a more informed decision. Here in the US the suspension is different between the Pop and the Sport. Not sure if that's true in Europe or not.
No difference in Europe. And the 1.2 doesn't have rear disc brakes in any trim level.

C

Abarth 500 - Esseesse - Red Assetto Corse stripes - Koni FSD Dampers - Leather & Alcantara Sabelt seats - Magneti Marelli Record Monza dual mode exhaust - OMP lower strut brace - GTT Cold Ram Induction - TMC Motorsport engine tuning kit - Silicone intake hose - 695 style alu mats - Blue & Me MAP - GTT polished turbo heatshield, battery cover & expansion tank cover
Cyberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 22:01   #6
seadawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdog View Post
No difference in Europe. And the 1.2 doesn't have rear disc brakes in any trim level.

C
Here, the US, all three versions get the 1.4 MultiAir engine, 4 wheel disc brakes, EBD (electronic brake distribution), ABS, ESC or ESP, air conditioning, halogen projector headlamps. I'm sure there's more but this is off the top of my head.

The thing I find fascinating is how expensive cars, including the 500, are in Europe. At least that is my perception. But you do have much more flexibility with combining options with the various versions (models). And your options aren't limited to specific versions like here in the states. Nor are you forced to buy 'packages' to get certain options. Very few of our options are 'ala carte'.

In the US the base prices including shipping for: Pop, 5 spd Manual, is $16,000 USD, the Sport, 5 spd Manual, $18,000 and the Lounge, (Fully Automatic 6 spd transmission ONLY) $20,000. Excludes any additional options.

Of course that doesn't include tax, but the maximum sales tax in the states is around 10-12% and then there is the title and registration for the state and local governments, of course.

Hope no one takes offense, I'm just attempting to point out the different way the 500 is marketed in the US vs Europe.
Old 7th June 2011, 05:17   #7
VilleV
VilleV's Flag is: Finland  

VilleV is a splendid one to beholdVilleV is a splendid one to beholdVilleV is a splendid one to beholdVilleV is a splendid one to beholdVilleV is a splendid one to beholdVilleV is a splendid one to beholdVilleV is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadawg View Post

The thing I find fascinating is how expensive cars, including the 500, are in Europe. At least that is my perception.

This is very true! Ill give you an another example; Hyundai Genesis coupe with the bigger 3.8 litre v6 in the US costs around 30000 dollars, here it is 50000 euros, which at the moment equals 73000 dollars! Or Nissan 370Z; in the US it starts at around 32000 dollars, here the starting price is 94500 dollars!!! And we dont even want to get Wreckmaster or Cyperdog started about the prices in Norway... Most of the price is ofcourse tax and actually the taxfree prices are propably cheapest here in Finland (in Europe) since the manufacturers have to sell their cars here as cheap as they possibly can to keep the total price within some sensible limits.

Sorry about the of topic tho...

Here, as cyperdog already pointed out, suspension and brakes depend on the engine in question, not the trim level. 1.4s have "sport suspension" and discs all around, 1.2s have a different suspension settings and drum brakes at the rear, it doesnt matter wether the car is in sport, lounge or pop trim.

As to the OPs question I would say go for the sport. It has better seats and things like alloys, tinted windows and spoiler. And even if you arent bothered about those the sport (as does the lounge) has all the cadgets that make the 500 so special as standard; aircon, blue&me with bluetooth handsfree, voice recognition, fog lights, leather steering wheel with radio and phone controls, etc. The Pop has non of these as standard.
Old 7th June 2011, 07:43   #8
navy48
navy48's Flag is: United States  

navy48 is a name known to allnavy48 is a name known to allnavy48 is a name known to allnavy48 is a name known to allnavy48 is a name known to allnavy48 is a name known to all

here in the States, the difference in price ($2,000 USD) is well worth it.

for us, chosing the Sport over the Pop will get you the upgraded BOSE Stereo w/Blue & Me, upgraded interior, 16" Alloys, Fog Lamps, Sport Front and Rear Fascias and Side 'Ground Effects' Pkg.

by adding the 15" Alloys to the Pop ($500) and the upgraded Bose Stereo ($1,250), you're only saving $250. so for $250 you're getting Fog Lamps, 'Ground Effects' and the upgraded interior. not a bad deal!

I'm chosing the Sport for myself.....just can't decide on color: Rosso, Verde Chiaro or Azzurro. right now I'm leaning towards.......
navy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 08:20   #9
VilleV
VilleV's Flag is: Finland  

VilleV is a splendid one to beholdVilleV is a splendid one to beholdVilleV is a splendid one to beholdVilleV is a splendid one to beholdVilleV is a splendid one to beholdVilleV is a splendid one to beholdVilleV is a splendid one to behold

"Verde Chiaro" must be the same as "ye ye green" was in Europe. Great colour in pictures, especially with tan leather, but somehow is kinda bland in flesh. Dont know why. But you guys over there do have a great variety of colours to choose from! I only wish you had "jive blue", one of the original colours now cancelled, that really suites the retro theme of the 500 well! Wreckmaster is one of the lucky ones to have jive blue.
Old 7th June 2011, 14:29   #10
seadawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleV View Post
"Verde Chiaro" must be the same as "ye ye green" was in Europe. Great colour in pictures, especially with tan leather, but somehow is kinda bland in flesh. Dont know why. But you guys over there do have a great variety of colours to choose from! I only wish you had "jive blue", one of the original colours now cancelled, that really suites the retro theme of the 500 well! Wreckmaster is one of the lucky ones to have jive blue.
It is indeed the same as the 'ye ye green' was in Europe. We have 14 colors to choose from here in the US. They aren't as verbally exciting as yours meaning they just call ours Rosso for red rather than Paso Doble Red like you have in Europe.

Yes, Jibe Blue is a unique color. I found it when doing some searches for European 500 stuff, before I found you guys and Wreckmaster. They even had T-shirts, etc that promoted that color. Was suprised to find out that Fiat had cancelled it.